Madison UMC Reopening Plans and Guidelines
“Building Faithful Disciples, Serving Jesus Christ”
Stage 1 - On-Site Worship Services resumed on June 28
Sanctuary - 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Masks are required.
- Please park in the west parking lot (Church Office) and enter by the west and south (Main Street) entrances of the Sanctuary.
- Time your arrival for 10 minutes prior to the start of the service.
- Family units may sit next to each other in worship, but everyone must practice social distancing.
- Offering baskets will be placed at the exits of each room.
- We will not use bulletins, pew Bibles, or hymnals during this stage.
- A nursery, the children’s sermon, and on-site Sunday School classes cannot be offered during this reopening stage.
- Sunday School rooms on the second floor of the Education Building will be set aside for nursing mothers, for parents with infants, and for overflow crowds.
- Please register each week (https://madisonumc.thersvpapp.com/) by noting your preferred attendance time. This can be done by signing in at the designated tab on our website or you can call our church office for assistance. More information about this simple process is in this newsletter and on our website.
- All doors will be opened for you by Greeters. Ushers will direct you to your seating. They will both be wearing face coverings.
- The sanctuary will be cleaned between services.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be readily available throughout the building.
- There will be no coffee stations or food available during this time. We also ask that you do not bring your own food or coffee to the campus.
- Please sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- We will have music at these worship services but congregational singing may not be part of our worship for a short season as part of our phased approach as we continue to explore how to best minimize risk.
- The length of the services will be moderately abbreviated, so Sunday School classes should be able to meet via Zoom from 9:40 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- Individuals with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune systems are compromised (such as chemotherapy and other conditions requiring such therapy) are encouraged to stay at home and join us online. The CDC has reported that older adults and people with these listed conditions “seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complication from COVID-19 illness.”
- Those who have a fever and/or feel sick should stay at home and join us for worship online.
Please know that our plans may change week to week based on the latest available information. We may be able to move quickly to Stage 2 or we may have to go back and suspend services at some point. Thank you for your patience as we continue to monitor those developments and to move as safely and as wisely as we can.
Stage 2 and Stage 3 – Expanding our Reopening
Our Trustees and our Administrative Council are working on a six-month plan to bring us all back together as safely and as quickly as possible. We will publish the plans for those stages soon.