Our church’s membership voted to May 21 to seek affiliation with the Global Methodist Church. With 433 votes cast, 14 voted for Congregational Methodist, 418 voted for Global Methodist, and 1 abstained. Our next steps will be to apply for affiliation with the Global Methodist Church. In addition, we are addressing UMC requirements for disaffiliation as we prepare for our June 30 disaffiliation date. We will continue to keep you informed through emails, social media, and The Messenger newsletter. Thank you for your on-going prayers and support of our church in this season.
**CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AFFILIATION RESOURCE GUIDE [Updated 05/11/2023]
- A sub-committee from our Administrative Council has been working since June 2022 to research denominations with which to potentially affiliate.
- The sub-committee studied five denominations in the Wesleyan tradition and made a presentation to our Administrative Council this week. The Council voted to propose two of those denominations to our church family for potential affiliation – the Global Methodist Church and the Congregational Methodist Church. With these two options, our church family will be able to retain the word “Methodist” in our church’s new name. The other three denominations had many strengths, but they also had enough concerns, like trust clauses that bind a church’s property to the denomination, so our Council withdrew them from our consideration.
- The updated Resource Guide for our affiliation process is available online (www.madisonumc.org/nextsteps) and at our sanctuary entrances.
- Coffee & Conversation meetings were held for four Sundays. Classes, small groups, and individuals could also email the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org to request additional meetings.
- The Informational Meetings with representatives from the Global Methodist Church and the Congregational Methodist Church are uploaded to our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/@MadisonUnitedMethodistChurch).
- We will have our church conference vote this Sunday, May 21.
- Our will remain United Methodist until after the annual conference disaffiliation vote on June 28 and through the month of June.
- Please email our Next Steps team with any questions about the affiliation vote or process at email@example.com.
- It is our hope to make this a smooth transition so that we can continue to focus on the missions, ministries, and fellowship of our church family.
GLOBAL METHODIST CHURCH INFORMATION MEETING (5/7/23):
CONGREGATIONAL METHODIST CHURCH INFORMATION MEETING (5/7/23):