Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, most of our regular mission opportunities have been cancelled or altered. We are working with those mission organizations to support them in a safe way and plan to join them in person as soon as possible. Please continue to give to our church budget, so we may continue to offer financial support to our mission partners in this time of need. MUMC response teams are currently working to meet the needs of our community by volunteering to pick up and deliver groceries, help with yard work, perform handy-man tasks and many other things for those who are in self-quarantine. If you are looking for a safe place to serve, you can join one of our teams by emailing Steve Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**To SUBMIT Service/Witness Interests for Missions, CLICK HERE, and a point person from respective missions areas will follow-up with you soon.
- Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered, 12 step recovery program for anyone struggling with hurt, pain or addiction of ANY kind. Celebrate Recovery is a safe place to find community and freedom from the issues that are controlling our life.
- Celebrate Recovery is not meeting at the church right now, due to the Corona Virus, but will be back on Tuesday nights as soon as possible.
- If God is speaking to you about this ministry, we have a need for people who are available on a weekly basis to:
- Serve meals
- Set up sound system and/or play music
- Lead/assist small groups
- Contact Rodger Wasson (601-460-0071) for more information
- Be a part of supporting the Moody family (Todd, Katie, Andrew, Conner, & Wesley) personally & in the ministry to which the Lord has called them as they serve through Legacy Mission International
- Serve in mission with the Moodys by being part of a MUMC mission team that travels to Honduras
- This summer’s mission team trip to Honduras has been cancelled. Plans for next summer and beyond TBD
- Contact George Taylor (601-941-9767) & Tracey Barrett (601-502-6777) for more info
- Meeting small home repairs and relational needs of the people in the Mississippi Delta
- Opportunities for intergenerational ministry (about ages 7 years old and up)
- Contact Carolyn Schussler (904-403-5748) for more info
- Next Delta Grace Mission Trip: August 2020
- Learn more / Sign up here.
- We hope to develop a pool of MUMC members who are interested in Early Response as well as Long-Term Recovery in Mississippi and perhaps beyond
- Contact Ben Butler (601-856-6058) for more info
- Since 1986, HFHMCA has built over 630 houses in partnership with low-income families in need. Our homeowners complete 250 hours of sweat equity building their homes and the homes of others and completing financial and homeowner training. HFHMCA homeowners buy their homes through zero-interest mortgage payments over 30 years. Volunteers help us keep construction costs down. Without volunteers, HFHMCA could not partner with low income families to build and invest in affordable homes with a no-interest mortgage. Work has included new home construction, rehabilitation of existing homes, and such things as landscaping.
- Contact David Coon (601-605-2455) for more info
- Next event - TBD
- We will be supporting outreach ministry with our Hispanic friends in Canton (which may include a Spring health fair & annual Christmas party/ministry)
- Contact Peter Giroux (601-454-6008) for more info
- In 2020, MUMC will be supporting Kairos Inside (women) & Kairos Outside, ministries for women who are incarcerated or affected by incarceration respectively
- The Kairos Inside Prison Weekend in April has been postponed. Future weekends are TBD.
- Contact Dianna Boring for Inside (850-708-4109) or Patsy McCarty for Outside (601-316-0753) for more info
- There are opportunities to provide non-perishable food items throughout the year & serve on Mondays & Wednesdays to distribute food to clients & prepare for the following week's distribution
- Contact Bob Morgan (601-720-1772) for more info
- Join a group that makes "plarn" (plastic yarn from cut strips of plastic shopping bags) sleeping mats for homeless friends
- Meets on Sundays at 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm in the Chapel Basement (Cancelled during COVID-19)
- Contact Donna Peyton (601-519-8002) for more information
- We will be exploring how we can increase service opportunities, including skilled/manual labor as well as relational ministry
- Dates/Opportunities To Be Determined
- Contact Diane Goolsby (601-214-3726) for more info
- We anticipate another annual shoe box packing drive in Fall of 2020
- Contact Jackie Wilson (601-953-7455) for more info
- We are budgeting for & will be planning an intergenerational food packaging event which will take place August 23 in the Christian Life Center
- Contact Kathy Long (601-466-0135) for more info
- Ministries often include such things as medical, dental, VBS, teacher training, Women's Bible study, teen soccer ministry, construction, and evangelism
- Salt and Light Mission trip has been cancelled for this summer. Plans for next summer and beyond TBD.
- Contact Phil Hinton (601-940-9033) or Lisa Anglin (601-594-8939) for more info
Why Not Now/Poindexter Park (Jackson, MS)
- It is anticipated that a group from MUMC will be going once a month in 2020; occasionally, we pick up extra Sundays as well
- There are opportunities to provide & serve food, help with set-up/other preparations, build relationships & share food with, and encourage our friends who are homeless or struggling economically
- Contact Jay Atkinson (601-214-3726) for more info
Local Mission (Jerusalem, Judea, & Samaria)
Mat Weavers Ministry
Celebrate Recovery (To Be Hosted/Sponsored by Madison UMC in Madison, MS)
Delta Grace (Sunflower, MS)
Habitat for Humanity
Kairos Inside Prison Ministries
Kairos Outside Prison Ministries
MadCAAP (Madison Countians Allied Against Poverty)
Methodist Children's Home
United Methodist Men
Why Not Now?
National & International Mission (Ends of the Earth)
- Legacy Mission International (Moody missionaries to Honduras)
Operation Christmas Child
Salt & Light Ministry Foundation (Honduras)
United Methodist Women